Benefits and Challenges in EdTech

Today's classrooms are now all decked out with interactive white boards, iPads, student lap tops, smartpens, electronic textbooks, and more.  Classrooms may have all the frills (technology) but not all have the thrills (how it's used? Does the technologies application coincide to learning goals?). There are definite challenges to attaining a successful "frill and thrill" classroom - some of which I mention below...

First off, integrating technology requires some forethought and 'double innovation' if you will.  You have got to LEARN the technology itself and then decide whether or not it supports the classroom objectives and curriculum.  This task alone took a lot of time and energy to learn how to use the technologies I wanted to integrate effectively and come up with engaging activities that tied into my lessons and that students would enjoy.

Some of the challenges I encountered were extremely time consuming like looking for connections to integrate technology with curriculum didn't just zap into my brain… I wanted to create lessons that when students use the technology, it made sense and be within the context of our classrooms larger learning goals rather than in isolation of them.

Another challenge I faced was in the technologies application and how I intended on using the technology. I knew that the success of any EdTech tool is in how it is used and I found myself asking how a particular innovation or gadget I wanted to use in my lesson furthered higher order thinking skills, basic skills, or students' ability to evaluate, analyze and synthesize ideas.  This way, I ensured that the technology I wanted to incorporate was being used for more than just its novelty.

Some benefits in my EdTech practicum were shown in students' personalized learning.  For example, the IXL iPad application I used adjusts the level of difficulty whilst documenting student results or students progress to electronic books that talk and respond to the tap of a finger - I found that products that personalize the learning experience for students often benefitted and increased their understanding.  With my game-based lessons, an interactive game is more engaging than a book, so technology often promoted more practice and review in areas requiring more exercise such as math and literacy.

Looking ahead, technology may be changing the experience of education but the role of teachers grow increasingly important as they become the experts and guides for new learning resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment