Supporting student learning with technology!

There is extensive discussions surrounding differentiation in classrooms, but the reality of implementing classroom based differentiated instruction can be challenging.  One way I supported varying student learning needs in my practicum was through assistive technology like the smartpen, iPad apps like IXL, google translate (for our ELL students), interactive white board use and a lot of game-based learning.

I used the smartpens with some students to optimize their own learning and understanding - having a couple students like Brandon (pseudonym) who has difficulty with his fine motor skills, verbally record his answers instead of solely writing them down which proves a difficult task for him.  I also used the smartpen alongside google translate for a Syrian student who only spoke Arabic.  I had him practice his pronunciation of flashcard words for some particular lessons and he would use google translate to speak the English word into the smartpen recorder.  IPad apps like IXL were used significantly for some of my autistic students or lower levelled math students enjoyed IXL, in addition, IXL also documents what problems the student(s) were successful at and which ones they had difficulty with.  Other lessons included use of the smart board where students would physically and mentally engage with the lesson eagerly raising their hand to roll the smart board dice for math or ask that jeopardy question for our Canadian government social studies unit.

The technology did not "make" my lesson so to speak - I made the lesson, but the technology helped support me in executing student engaged learning through its functionality.  Using these tools helped me create an inclusive classroom during my practicum, these tools provided students flexible learning experiences to support student engagement and promoted their own independence in completing classroom activities and assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment